My quest for new, tasty, energy boosting snacks continues and for this most recent cooking experiment, I decided to throw together some of my favourite nutrient rich snacks. The result? A nutty and naturally sweet fusion of pistachios, almonds, pecans and sesame seeds held together by a raisin puree.
I could go on and on about the health benefits of nuts and seeds , but to keep a long story short, nuts and seeds are a great source of energy, containing a wide range of key vitamins and minerals such as magnesium and calcium. They are also rich in protein and fibre making them extremely beneficial for our bones and muscles and studies have shown that they can also reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer when eaten as part of a healthy balanced diet.
Using raising puree as the binding agent for this recipe adds even more energy boosting properties but most importantly, acts as a natural sweetener and cuts out the refined sugar element of a sweet snack. Check out the recipe below.
- Vanilla essence
- Salted caramel flavouring (optional)
- Soak the almonds overnight then drain.
- Crush the almonds, pistachios and pecans in a food processor or suitable blender then place into a bowl.
- Blend the raisins adding a little water to help the mixture blend well, alternatively soak the raisins overnight and blend the following morning.
- Add in a teaspoon of vanilla essence and salted caramel flavouring.
- When the raisins have formed a puree, add it to the bowl containing the blended nuts and mix together thoroughly.
- Line a large container or tray with a baking sheet then using a measuring spoon, scoop up the mixture and press it firmly into the spoon to form.
- Place the snack balls onto the baking sheet and cover with cling film.
- Refrigerate overnight.